1. What the flood warnings mean
We issue 3 levels of flood warning:
Flood alert - Prepare
- prepare a bag that includes medicines and insurance documents
- check flood warnings
Flood warning - Act
- turn off gas, water and electricity
- move things upstairs or to safety
- move family, pets and car to safety
Severe flood warning - Survive
- call 999 if in immediate danger
- follow advice from emergency services
- keep yourself and your family safe
Save a copy of this simple flood plan (PDF, 139KB) so you’ll know what to do when there’s a flood warning in your area.
All floods are different and you should take advice from the emergency services and your local authority if you’re in a flood.